Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Flashback

34 years ago today, I had just turned 16 and my best friend in high school (Scilla Webb) decided she wanted to go to the "Mormon Church" - but didn't want to go on her own, so she asked if I'd go with her....so I did.

We turned up that Sunday (Jan 23) dressed in jeans and t-shirts to the Conservative hall at the bottom of the high street in Guildford.  There were a bunch of youth in that small group of Saints - and they made us feel so welcome.....I remember looking across the pews and Sharon Hall gave a huge welcoming smile - funny that I remember that detail!  All the youth there that day (Scilla, Sharon, Glenda Longhurst, Wendy Thorogood, Chris Dromey etc etc) made it easy to keep coming back to Church

I am who I am and where I am partly because of my incredible parents and partly because of that day 34 years ago - a day that I will never forget or regret.

I saw the girls at Church today and they reminded me of that day so long ago....if I was 16 now, and came to church - these girls would be good reason to keep coming back.


Nicole Barfus;Jocelyn Leavitt; Kati-Anne Zemp; Kelsea Morrison; Cassidy Nielsen


On that same day in 1977, I was on Radio One's "Quiz Kid '77 - a pop quiz show, mum and dad had taken me to somewhere in Kent for the recording a couple of weeks earlier and it was aired on the evening of Jan 23....I recorded it.  In those days, recording was always done with a tape recorder and microphone, so everyone had to be quiet while the show was on (that was when I told my parents that I'd been to Church in the morning!)  I came fourth in the quiz (out of 4!), but the local newspaper came over to take a photo and run an article - I wonder if that article still exists somewhere.

oh to be 16 again :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jeni, that's a good story and good pictures! I'm glad you went to church that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that beautiful memory. What a great group of girls!

    ReplyDelete